The Agenda Material
The party recognizes:
• that a modern, efficient policing service firmly committed to the rule of law is an
essential pillar of the Idea of India as a liberal democracy and as an emerging economic
and political power; that good policing and a relatively crime-free and peaceful
environment not only strengthen the country’s internal security, but are also essential
pre-requisites for the country’s economic development;
• that the technological revolution enabled by Information Technology, data analytics,
Artificial Intelligence etc offer unprecedented challenges as well as limitless
opportunities for modernisation of the police forces.
The party also recognizes that policing and public order fall within the domain of the State
Governments. But considering the frightening dimensions of global terrorism and cybercrime
as well as the evolving threats to public safety, security and national security emerging from a
cyber space without boundaries and the emerging complexities of law enforcement, our
government will initiate a national debate on the need to bring the subject under the Concurrent
• The party is committed to transform every police station in the country as a people
friendly space, where every citizen will have the right to be treated with dignity. The
police station will be required to record every complaint made by citizens and her /
his complaints will be suitably acted upon. Leveraging information technology tools,
action take on every complaint will be suitably communicated to the complainant
within reasonable time.
• Safety and security of women and children will be one of the topmost priorities of
• Modernisation of police training will be one of the top priorities of the government
to ensure that police personnel are equipped with appropriate professional and soft
skills for dealing with citizens, especially women, children, persons with disabilities
and those from marginalized communities, with appropriate levels of sensitivity. The
party is committed to equip the police with the required financial, infrastructural and
manpower resources for better police service delivery to citizens.
• Supreme Court’s directions on police reforms would be implemented in letter and
spirit to meet the democratic aspirations of the people. Towards this end, the party
intends to set-up an inter-ministerial Task Force at the highest level, to review
implementation of the Court’s directions, as also appropriate recommendations made
by earlier Commissions.